HEFCE have published on their website a request for higher education strategies from further education colleges.This document requests further education colleges to submit higher education strategies. It provides guidance that sets out HEFCE’s expectations of a college’s higher education strategy. Strategies should be submitted to HEFCE by noon on Monday 11 January 2010.
HE strategies should be developed by all FECs, directly and indirectly funded, and documentation submitted to HEFCE. The strategy and the process of developing it will be valuable to the college itself and will:
– form evidence for the college’s Integrated Quality Enhancement and Review
– support and inform the development of the widening participation strategic assessment
– help colleges in discussions with HEFCE institutional teams
– when developing an HE strategy, colleges should take account our view of the role of HE in FECs and of the distinctive contribution that FECs can make to the overall provision of HE
– the context for the colleges’ HE should be described, taking account of non-HEFCE funded provision alongside that funded directly or indirectly by HEFCE.
The strategy is expected to cover:
– a high-level statement explaining what the strategy is about
– a rationale for the strategy
– elaboration about specific objectives showing they have the potential to be realised
– assessment of high-level risks
Strategy documentation may be provided in different ways, and it is for colleges to decide on the preferred format. The documentation provides several options and guidance for this. Further details available at: