How eCPD and the Online Learning Space (OLS) can help you
eCPD is delivered on behalf of LSIS to support the effective use of technology in teaching and learning across the whole learning and skills sector. It can help you and your organisation:
- fulfill part of the Institute for Learning’s (IfL’s) 30 hour (or pro rata) continuing professional development (CPD);
- meet the new teaching standards and Ofsted inspection requirements; and
- engage learners and improve their employability.
- Professional Development Advisers (PDAs) and Advanced PDAs eCPD training – PDAs eCPD is a face-to-face training programme and in-house cascaded training and support for all staff that have responsibility for driving the effective use of technology in teaching and learning in their organisation. An online multimedia version of the PDAs eCPD training for supported self study is currently in development and will be available during 2010.
- E-Guides and Advanced E-Guides eCPD training – E-Guides is a three-day blended training programme to increase the confidence and competence of staff in using technology to deliver learning, teaching and support services. Day two of the programme is delivered online. Advanced E-Guides are trained and supported to deliver the three day E-Guide training within their organisations or to a cluster of organisations. For more information visit: http://www.niace.org.uk/eguides-ecpd
- OLS – a growing community of practice for PDAs, E-Guides and all other practitioners and educators from across the sector to share knowledge and advice, access the new eCPD framework, interactive CPD planning tool and a wealth of resources provided by practitioners. See overleaf for further details or visit the OLS: http://ecpd.bdplearning.com.
How to get involved in eCPD and the OLS
- Become a member of the OLS by registering free at http://ecpd.bdplearning.com.
- Receive in-house cascaded training or support from the trained PDA, Advanced PDA, E-Guide or Advanced E-Guide in your organisation or partner organisation. To find out who the PDA or E-Guide is, please enquire internally or post a question via the OLS Forum area at http://ecpd.bdplearning.com/mod/forum/live_discussions.php.
- Undertake the supported self-study PDA eCPD online multimedia training when it is available. This resource is currently in development and will be live on the OLS during 2010. Further details will be communicated in due course.
Features and benefits of the OLS and eCPD framework
Membership to the OLS is free, quick and easy. Register at http://ecpd.bdplearning.com and gain access to the following:
- Lively discussion forums where users can share comments, ideas and advice, and conduct peer-to-peer review of activities and experiences either in the public forum area or through private forums.
- A growing library of resources and case studies including the new eGems resources which offer a wealth of ideas and resources provided by practitioners who have shared their experience and expertise during the monthly eGems forum discussion
- A new, simplified eCPD framework to support and complement users’ CPD, and an associated CPD planning tool, which has been designed to mirror the structure of the Institute for Learning’s (IfL’s) REfLECT tool. Users can listen to audio clips from PDAs and E-Guides talking about the challenges they have faced in their organisations and how the eCPD framework is helping them. There are also videos to see how staff in a range of different roles, from PDAs to principals, approach eCPD within their organisations.
- A PDA eCPD online multimedia training resource for supported self study is currently in development and will be available on the OLS during 2010. Users will be able to enroll on the online programme, access a range of stimuli and resources and undertake tasks and activities, which upon completion, will enable the user to receive PDA status within their organisation. More details will be communicated in due course.
- A range of guidance and products are currently in development for PDAs, managers and sector organisations that will help providers get the most out of eCPD. These will be available to download from the OLS during 2010. More details will be communicated in due course.