The Jisc RSC London regional technical infrastructure survey
The biennial technical infrastructure survey, designed and carried out again this spring, by RSC Senior Advisor, Bernard Aghedo, attracted responses from 60% of further education, adult and community learning, sixth form colleges and smaller higher education institutional providers in the region.
• still some way to go before staff feel their learning providers are ready to deliver to the digital age’s expectations
• dedicated IT budgets ranging from £0 to £1million
• most sites (67%) are connected through a 100MB Janet connection
• 18% (mainly HEIs and larger FE) use a ≥1GB connection
• 74% of responders report they are connected to provide Wi-Fi
• 26% accommodate users’ own devices to access the internet
• 32% use a learner tracking system
• 98% of London providers use Microsoft-based systems
• Moodle is the foremost VLE with some customised systems and Blackboard now virtually non-existent in the organisations that responded
• most providers have an IT strategy; in 40% of them IT is driven from the top.
This survey builds on previous surveys in 2010, 2008 and 2006 to reflect the technical infrastructure developments within providers. More numbers to crunch here: